Hiring a boudoir photographer for such intimate portraits can be a bit challenging. Chances are it's the first time you've done it. Boudoir photography and bridal boudoir is a very personal decision. Here are a few things to consider: 1) Am I comfortable with this photographer?
- This is probably one of the most important aspects. Some women will only shoot boudoir with another woman. That's probably to take away most of the possibility that it's going to be someone skeevy who says things like, "Hey baby, why don't we take off some more clothes. I won't tell anyone." However, there are many talented male boudoir photographers out there who are completely professional. One of my good (male) friends joked to me, "Shooting boudoir always makes me wonder if I'm gay. Here's a this hot chick half naked in front of me and all I can think about is how she is lit." On the other hand, a female boudoir photog can give you that sense of sisterhood like when you used to get ready for prom with your BFFs.
2) Am I getting a good value for my money?
- Most of the time, you get what you pay for. There is skill level all over the board. If you're looking for a deal, have your boyfriend/husband grab his camera and shoot away. I've seen some "professional" work that is atrocious and I've seen work that makes your average girl next door look like she's stepped out of Vogue. You can get a purse from Target and you can get a purse from Prada. Both serve their function, but in ten years, which one will you still be proudly showing off? Save your pennies for the Prada.
3) Does he or she know what they're doing?
- Boudoir photography is one of the most challenging forms or portraiture. There is no benefit of flattering clothing. Every inch of you needs to be posed precisely and lit in flattering manner. The cutest girl in the world can look monstrous with some poorly placed lighting and the skinniest woman can look ten pounds heavier. Then to top it off, the client must look sexy and relaxed. Woo... that's all just for one shot! After all that, there's a good chance that you have a little something retouched.
4) What goes into my gift bag?
- Digital photography is nothing but number codes on a memory card until it is presented in the form of products. Don't even ask me how they do that coding part. But what you take home is what you will treasure. Does the boudoir photographer offer you timeless art to enjoy for decades? There are countless options available, but what do you want to take home? You can purchase an album filled with your beautiful boudoir portraits, a sexy canvas to hang in your own boudoir or even something modern like a video.
5) What kind of experience do I want?
- Boudoir can be shot anywhere: a home, a hotel, a retail space, or even outside. Will you feel pampered and lavished? The happier you are during the shoot, the better the art will be.
Find the right boudoir photographer for you and invest wisely. It's your hard-earned money and you're worth it.